Sunday, October 31, 2010

Jewelry storage solution

If you're like me, then you've been looking for a good solution to storing your jewelry. I've come across some decent storage solutions, but it's always so hard to see what your options are when everything is piled together in  a box. So I came up with this great idea to display them in frames on the wall. 

I found these inexpensive frames for displaying t-shirts. I liked these larger sized frames because I can hang my necklaces inside them. The ones I liked were black and I decided I needed white, so I gave them two layers of white with a can of spray paint.

There aren't pictures of the steps in between. I put the frame backing back in (but not the glass) and glued in a 12"x12" piece of scrapbook paper. The frame was a little bigger than that so I also added pieces of grosgrain ribbon around the edges. Next, I hand screwed in little brass decorative hooks I picked up from home depot for the necklaces as alternating heights.
 
 For the earrings frame, I used closed eyelet hooks and screwed them in so they were parallel to the floor. That allowed me to hang earrings with long backs through the rings.  If I had this project to do over again, I would have picked up some cheap shadow boxes that had a deeper ledge. Then I could store a small bowl on the ledge for post earrings and rings.

 Overall though, I'm very pleased with the final outcome.  I love having my jewelry all out and displayed so I know what my options are. My necklaces never get tangled and it looks pretty cool on my bathroom wall as well.
Materials needed:
picture frames
small decorative hooks/eyelet screws
decorative paper/ribbon
glue
modge podge (optional to seal it from moisture)

Total cost: $10
I paid $5 per frame, and 20 cents for a piece of fancy paper and maybe 5 cents for the amount of grosgrain i used. The decorative hooks you need to buy in packages of 8 or like 25, so I'd estimated it out at about $5 total.  So if you make more than one, the cost goes down incrementally.

Happy crafting!

No comments:

Post a Comment