Friday, October 1, 2010

Glove animals

I'll open this blog with my most recent project. Glove animals. I noticed those little cotton gloves on sale at Joann's for only $1 a pair. And you know what else I noticed standing in line at the fabric store? How easy it would be to turn them into an animal.

Before:
Remember these from your childhood? I bet you have at least one lying around your house right now. If you can scrounge up a pair, you have an instant project (and free gift to give your favorite child!).
 
Sock and Glove animals have been around forever, so a simple google search turned up some ideas and easy instructions. I've tweaked it a little bit and present: Glover the dog.

If you're going to do this project, I suggest you google some step by step directions with pictures.

After:                                                                                                          

Here's my 10 or fewer basic steps.
1-Turn both gloves inside out, cut off the two middle fingers and the thumbs. Set aside the other glove.
2- Sew up the finger holes on glove #1, turn it right side out and stuff with poly fiber fill.  This is the body of the dog and the fingers are the legs.
3- Take the remaining three fingers, stuff and sew them back onto body as the arms and a tail.
4- Set the body aside and with glove #2 still inside out, sew up the thumb hole. Rotate and flatten the glove so the former thumb hole is on the front and positioned in the mouth/nose area.
5-Sew and cut out a semi circle along the glove cuff. (A smiley face under the thumb hole).


6-Turn right side out and stuff the body (but not the fingers this time). Sew up the remaining opening on the top of the head from the outside (if you're using safety eyes remember to attach them) 


7-Sew the head to your body.
8- Sew the ears down in desired positions.
9- Embellish how you wish. Attach the eyes, embroider a nose, (or use buttons.  I have a 6 month old, so I decided to play it safe). I used red felt for the tongue and heart patch on the rump :)  I also added the bottom section of the mouth area because the neck seemed too long. You could do this or use the scrap from step 5 to sew on a bottom lip.




Kid approved:

I'm already thinking about how you'd make all kinds of other animals and am planning a trip back to buy more gloves.

UPDATE: right now Target is selling two pairs for $1. Go get em!


Materials needed:
A pair of gloves
sewing supplies (thread, needle, scissors)
red felt
safety eyes
polyester fiber fill


Approximate cost: $1.50
I already had the poly-fill (it's approx. $4 for a large bag that will last you through several projects), thread, needles and red felt. I also had the safety eyes from another project which I think were about $1.50 for 3 pairs. I added the cost of one set into the total.

1 comment:

  1. Just found this blog here of yours! Love the idea behind it. I say that to myself all the time... it has become some sort of addiction. :) So what I am trying to say is that I think you made this blog just for me:) PS Owen is so stinking cute. I bet you get stopped all the time when you are out in public by all the old ladies.

    ReplyDelete